There are plenty of reasons to consider installing roller shutters on your property. But with so many different types to choose from, it can be difficult to make an informed decision and select the roller shutters best suited to your home or business.
If you are looking to protect your business, for example, you might want high-strength, steel security shutters. One the other hand, if you’re looking for home roller shutters to help lower your energy costs, you might want shutters designed specifically for insulation.
When it comes to choosing the right shutters for your property, we have a few tips to help you choose.
What do you need the roller shutters for?
The first thing you need to consider is why you specifically need roller shutters. There are plenty of reasons to invest in them. However, you should consider what your primary purpose is (e.g. security, energy savings, storm protection etc.) so you can purchase the shutters best suited to that aim.
Here the some of the most common reasons people invest in roller shutters:
- Security:Metal roller shutters fitted with locking mechanisms are extremely difficult to break through and help to protect the most vulnerable access points to your home or business.
- Insulation:Insulated roller shutters can help to keep your property warm in winter and cool in summer. They add an extra level of insulation and a layer of air between your windows and the outside elements. They also help to block draughts.
- Storm protection: If your home or business is in a storm-prone area, roller shutters are a great way to protect your windows and the inside of your property from storm damage.
- Privacy: Outdoor shutters and shade blinds are great options for increasing the privacy in your backyard.
- Blocking out light:If your windows get a lot of direct sun, roller shutters are great for not only blocking out the sun, but also reducing the sun’s heat. Retractable shade blinds are also excellent for increasing your outdoor shaded areas without permanently blocking all sunlight.
Opening and closing mechanisms
Another important consideration is the opening or retraction mechanism. Broadly speaking, there are three kinds of shutters to choose from:
- Manual shutters:Manually operated shutters usually have some form of pully system or winding mechanism enabling you to open and close the shutters by hand.This is the cheapest option and doesn’t require electricity to operate and so will not be affected by power outages.
- Electric shutters:These systems include an electric motor operated by a remote control or switch panel that opens or closes the shutters. These systems will be more expensive than manual shutters but they don’t require any manual effort to open them.
- Battery shutters:These systems use long-lasting lithium batteries. Generally, they are backup systems on electric shutters so your shutters can still be opened during power outages. However, battery operated systems can be installed in places that don’t have immediate access (or unreliable access) to electric power.
General pricing for shutters
When it comes roller shutter pricing, there are a few things you need to consider. The number of shutters you need and the size of the area you need to cover will obviously affect the cost of your shutter system.
Expect to pay more for speciality systems like security or insulated shutters. The type of system (i.e. manual, electric, battery) you install will also affect the purchase cost of the shutters themselves, as well as the installation costs.
Manual systems will be cheaper to purchase and install, especially if you opt for DIY installation. Electric systems will require a licensed electrician and that will increase installation costs. And battery systems require the purchase of long-lasting lithium batteries.
Once you have decided on these factors, you can start contacting roller shutter companies. Quality companies will be able to give you comprehensive quotes on a range of systems including delivery and installation costs. Don’t forget to get multiple quotes from different companies on a range of products to ensure you’re getting the best system at the best price.